Last Update: 12 Dec 2017
Version 8.0.2c
Extra flights sought to boost visitor arrivals to Pesta Nukenen
Posted on : 27 Jul 2017  Source of News: The Borneo Post
 

 MIRI: A higher number of extra flights to Bario are required to increase the number of visitors for the 12th Pesta Nukenen Bario.

The festival to showcase the cultural and culinary heritage of the Kelabit Highlands will be held from July 26-29.

Rurum Kelabit Sarawak (RKS) president Dr Philip Raja said the festival, which has been held since 2006, has attracted a total of 6,000 visitors.

“The number of people coming could be more should air and land communications are improved as it is the major obstacle for people coming to the festival,” he said when leading a courtesy call on Miri Mayor Adam Yii yesterday.

“Thus we hope that the rural airline could increase its flight frequency to Bario, especially during the festival as last year the organising committee asked for 16 extra flights but was only granted eight flights.

“Thus many people could not come to the festival.”

RKS vice-president Dr Roland Mattu said the festival is a cultural and eco-tourism product for the state.

“The festival is not just about promotion of culture and cuisine but the people – unique cultures and traditions – and the natural wonders and pristine jungles in the Bario Highlands, plus factors for eco-tourism,” he said.

Meanwhile, Yii assured festival organisers of the Miri City Council’s support, including promoting Pesta Nukenen Bario during the month-long Miri Fest in May.

“Now that Bario has been made a sub-district, which comes under the purview of MCC, our council will give the necessary help including promotion in May Fest. We will assist in the disposal of rubbish, which is expected to be generated in a big amount during the festival itself,” he said

|